Monday, December 15, 2008

Formal Argument- Negative, Did Gertrude betray her husbadn and son

Formal Argument
Gertrude did not betray either her husband or her son. Hamlet feels betrayed because his mother remarried so quickly. But everyone is different. Some people take less time to get over the grieving process. What if Hamlet Sr. and his wife really weren’t that close? It gives no indication that they were. The ghost of Hamlet Sr does tell hamlet Jr not to kill Gertrude but that is because he loved her. Times and circumstances could have dictated situations that caused them to grow apart for a while and so Gertrude felt less attached. When the grieving process was finished, she had her eyes open and her goals clear. By marrying Claudius she would be killing two birds with one stone. She was keeping her position as queen, since she was not born into the royal family but married into it, and she was solidifying her son’s position on the throne should Claudius die as a result of old age or some unfortunate accident. It was all part of Gertrude’s plan. Although she appears dependent and unsure, it is a ploy, a mask to lull others into a false sense of security so that she might accomplish her own ends.

Soliloquy
Bloody bawdy villain! Remorseless, treacherous, lecherous, kindless villain! O vengeance! I would that the God’s have given me half less a mind as to deal with the unworthiness and the inanity of the lout who dares call himself my opponent. Oh Sprits! Perhaps the problem lay not in my opponent himself. Merely his arguments to say. Perhaps they hold sense only to half-wits and those who madness has deemed well enough to bestow its crippling self upon. Yes that is it. That must be it. Let that son of Satan feel the wrath of him above the kings, as all his crimes make themselves manifest. To put that monster in his place I shall speak daggers to him and use none. How in my words he be shent. To give them seals never my soul consent. Alas oh heavens strike me down now so I may be spared the most cruel and torturous death and live til my sins be purged, bound in the blackest night to hear the wail of my adversary’s concernancy. Hark I must away…

By: Tyler Keith with excerpts from William Shakespeare’s Hamlet

No comments: